top of page

Health & Wellness

Helpful Resources 

Your Life Iowa - Free confidential support

When you don’t know who to turn to about a problem with alcohol, drugs, gambling, suicidal thoughts or mental health, Your Life Iowa is here for you 24/7. We provide free, confidential support and connect you to resources meant to help you get your life back on track.

from the Iowa Department of Public Health

Central Iowa Trauma Recovery Center

An organization that provides victim services, mental health treatment and grief support to victims of crime.   Current services cover individuals (including those with intellectual and developmental disabilities) in Polk, Warren, Story, Marshall, Jasper, Dallas, Boone, Madison and Marion Counties.  

call (515) 244-5372 or after hours (515) 644-2226

At the Hospital? - A guide for helping your children cope with emergency hospital care.  

Traumatic stress symptoms are common after a serious illness, injury, or hospitalization. Even though it is your child who is ill or injured, your whole family can be affected. It's normal for you, as a parent, to feel overwhelmed or unprepared to help your child (or yourself) cope.

from the National Child Traumatic Stress Network

Free or Low Cost Health Care

Welcome to the Self Assessment. The tool is a quick and easy way for you to find out if your household might be able to get low or no cost health care

from the Iowa Department of Human Services

From Coverage to Care

From Coverage to Care (C2C) is an initiative, developed by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, to help you understand your health coverage and connect to primary care and the preventive services that are right for you, so you can live a long and healthy life.

from the Centers for Medicaid Services

Are Home and Community Based Services Right for You?

The Iowa Home- and Community-Based Services (HCBS) programs are Medicaid programs where the federal government has set aside or "waived" rules. This gives you more choices about how and where you receive services. It is for people with disabilities and older Iowans who need services. These services may allow you to stay in your home. You must be eligible for Medicaid and also meet the requirements of the program you are applying for and/or receiving. An assessment will be done to determine if you meet the criteria of being in need of nursing facility, skilled nursing facility level of care, hospital level of care, or being in need of care in an intermediate care facility for persons with intellectual disabilities.

from the Iowa Department of Human Services

Medicaid for Kids with Special Needs

MKSN is a program that helps pay medical bills for children with special needs due to a disability. To find out if your child is eligible for MKSN, you must fill out a Medicaid application and send it to your local Department of Human Services (DHS) office.

from the Iowa Department of Human Services


Need a little more help?  Ask an Advocate and make the journey a little easier.

bottom of page